The position assists the City Clerk in planning, organizing, and coordinating all aspects of the City Clerk’s Office as assigned. Performs a wide variety of technical, highly responsible, and specialized administrative duties including maintaining and managing municipal records; reporting on and maintaining actions of the City Council; and performing related duties as required. This includes conducting research, drafting recommendations and reports for submission to Council/management; timely and accurate preparation, posting, dissemination, and presentation to the City Council of minutes, ordinances, resolutions, and other documentation; providing input and preparing related portions of the office budget and recommending changes to the existing budget; developing training and work procedure guidelines, and prioritizing essential tasks; and implementing new procedures and/or modifications to existing software programs, and developing new forms based on need.
Minimum Qualifications Required.
- High School Diploma or GED,
- Advanced computer skills with competency in full suite of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and schedule priorities.
- Type 30-50 WPM, some experience taking meeting minutes
- Ability to attend evening meetings when needed
- And/or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Ability to demonstrate professional public contact and telephone etiquette
- Ability to use modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to understand English language, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Good knowledge of business letter writing and report preparation
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to tactfully respond to requests and inquiries from the public.
- Ability to tactfully respond to upset customers and patrons.
- Ability to learn City code and various department policies and procedures
- Ability to perform a variety of clerical functions simultaneously and accurately.
- Ability to problem solve and work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to use logical and creative thought processes
- Ability to analyze financial data and reconcile accounts
- Ability to demonstrate patience, integrity, ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Employee may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Assists the City Clerk controlling records storage, purging and archiving.
- Assists the City Clerk in recording ordinances, agreements and formal documents, processes public records requests.
- Prepares and reviews a variety of correspondence, reports, public notices, permits and documents as assigned.
- Routinely interprets and explains City Code and policies to the public and employees.
- Oversees and coordinates the license issuing process.
- Provides backup for City Council meetings and ensures accurate minutes are taken at council and other public meetings when the City Clerk cannot attend.
- Provides assistance to the City Clerk in publishing legal notices, public hearing notices, and ordinances.
- Assists the City Clerk in the administration and maintenance of official City records and official seal, recording, indexing, filing and safe keeping and preservation of public records including public meeting minutes and audio recordings, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, agreements, public hearing files and other recorded documents.
- Maintains databases and indexes for tracking and research purposes.
- Assists the City Clerk with the scheduling and coordination of City Council agenda, coordinating activities with Mayor, Council President, department heads and managers.
- Follows up on Council actions to ensure timely preparation of contracts and records, indexes and files agreements, resolutions, ordinances and minutes.
- Assists the City Clerk with updates and maintenance of the Municipal Code to reflect actions of the Council.
- Assists the City Clerk with preparation of ordinances and resolutions as needed.
- Coordinates and assists with special projects as assigned by the City Clerk or City Treasurer.
- May provide assistance and information to the public including assistance regarding utility billings and payments.
- Coordinates and tracks annual septic tank inspections.
- Updates and maintains the Cross-Connection Questionnaires.
- Follows up on annual backflow device inspections.
- Updates and maintains Sewer User Agreements.
- Maintains Certificate of Insurances/W9 for vendors.
- Assists the City Clerk with incoming/outgoing mail.
- May update various City social media sites such as the City’s website.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please complete the application form and submit to email@example.com to apply.